EPISODE 1 RECIPE: SOURDOUGH & ATCHAR
Wednesday 23 March 2022
KOTA, ATCHAR, MAYO and SWEET POTATO FRIES
4 tbsp sunflower oil 1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin seeds 1 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp atchar malasa
1 tbsp mustard seeds
2 cups peeled and quartered baby onions 1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt or salt to taste
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup water if needed
- In a large pan heat the oil (don’t be alarmed by the volume of oil - atchar is oil based) and add the spices and bay leaf, let them cook for 1 minute then add onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute before adding the peppers. Add an extra splash of oil if needed.
- Cook for 5 minutes or so then add the sugar, salt, and vinegar and a dash of water if needed.
- Bring the pickle to a final simmer over a low to medium heat for about 10 minutes (if it looks like its going to start burning add 1-2 tbsp of water at a time) and switch off the heat.
- Spoon into a sterilised jar or use immediately.
- It should last in the fridge for at least a week.
AIOLI (or garlic mayonnaise)
1 whole pasteurised egg
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1-2 cloves fresh garlic (2 tsp crushed)
1 tbsp lemon juice
250ml vegetable oil - or an avo/macadamia nut oil Salt and pepper
- Pop the egg into a narrow vessel - just big enough to fit the blending attachment on a stick blender.
- Add the mustard, salt and pepper, garlic.
- Slowly add the oil and then carefully insert the stick blender so the blade is directly over the yolk.
- Now start blending on a low speed until the mixture starts thickening - don't pull the blender up before it does. When you start pulling up do so very very slowly.
- Pull up while blending until the mayo is thick and glossy. Add lemon juice to taste and season to taste with salt and pepper.
SWEET POTATO CHIPS
500g-600g (about 3 medium) orange sweet potatoes, peeled 3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper or foil.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 05mm-1cm slices.
- Toss with olive oil, thyme, garlic and seasoning.
- Lay onto baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until golden and soft .
- Very important with making the fries - try to cut them evenly so they all cook at about the same rate and preheat the oven with the baking sheet inside.
500g good quality boerewors Olive oil for cooking
4 rosemary sticks
- Divide the wors into 4 even pieces.
- Roll up into little equal spirals.
- Secure with a rosemary stalk.
- Cook according to taste - either in a pan or over the coals.
1/2 cup heirloom tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
Salt and pepper
Lemon juice to taste
Olive oil to taste
- Mix and season well.
1 milk loaf, sourdough or any soft bread of your choice, cut into 4 8 slices boerenkaas
- Add a generous spread of aioli to each kota, then add a layer of chips followed by the cheese then the atchar.
- Top with a sausage twirl and a generous scoop of salsa.
- Serve with extra mayo and atacher on the side.
TAGS: recipes, Homegrown Tastes South Africa