AMADUMBE AND RAINBOW CORN
Wednesday 18 May 2022
Salted water to cover amadumbe
300g flour and extra to dust
1 cup parmesan and ricotta
- Boil amadumbes for 20 minutes (skin on) until soft.
- Peel and mash while still warm, press through a sieve until smooth.
- In a large bowl or clean counter top mix amadumbes, seasoning, flour and ricotta and parmesan.
- Make a well and break the egg into the centre of the well
- Be careful to not over work the dough and to not add too much flour.
- Press together until a ball forms.
- Divide into four and roll each piece into a sausage.
- Cut each sausage into bite sized pieces.
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 tsp chilli and garlic paste
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 can tinned Italian tomato
¾ cup cream
12 beautiful large prawns
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 Tbsp sugar
A handful fresh coriander
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until soft and golden.
- Add the chilli and garlic paste.
- Add the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomato and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and prawns and cook for 5 minutes.
- Balance the flavour by adding sugar, salt, pepper and fresh lime juice to taste.
MAIZE MEAL MALVA PUDDING
A great wheat and gluten free alternative to a south African favourite.
200g brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp smooth apricot jam, a little melted
250g rainbow maize meal (or any maize meal)
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
125 ml milk
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup cream
½ cup milk
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 170°
- Beat the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy and then add all the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour or spoon into a greased 2 litre ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is nicely browned and it is cooked through.
- While it bakes make the sauce by simmering all the ingredients together for 5 minutes.
- As soon as the pudding comes out the oven, prick it all over with a fork and pour the sauce over immediately. It looks like a lot but it will eventually be absorbed by the pudding so just be patient.
- Serve warm with custard, mascarpone or ice cream.
TAGS: recipes, Homegrown Tastes South Africa