Amasi Cheesecake with cherries
For the cheesecake:
- 210g ginger biscuits
- 100g butter
- 50g castor sugar
- The cheesecake mixture
- 860g cream cheese
- 200g castor sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 30g flour
- 340 ml Amasi, whisked until smooth
- 30 ml Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 50g Amasi, whisked until smooth
- 15 ml water
- Fresh Cherries, if available, pitted
- Icing sugar
- Serve with whipped cream
- For Amasi, pour the Amasi starter culture into the clean glass jar (*We are using a Keffir Starter Kit). Add milk into the jar & Stir. Cover the mixture with a muslin cloth or coffee filter and secure with rubber band. Store in a room temperature of about 20-25C out of direct sunlight and direct heat source.
- For the cheesecake base, combine the ingredients with a food processor. Line a 22 cm round baking tin with baking paper and spray and cook then line the tin with the base mixture. Use your fingers to arrange the base into the tin.
- For the cheesecake mixture, preheat the oven to 200 C. Beat the cream cheese and sugar on a medium speed for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until well combined. Slowly add the amasi, lemon juice and vanilla & mix until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared base and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cheesecake is firm on the edges and slightly wobbly in the centre. You can bake this in advance and put it into the fridge.
- For the amasi caramel, heat the sugar and butter in a pot, use a wooden spoon to swirl the butter around while it melts. Simmer on a low heat until the sugar caramelises. Remove from the heat then add the water and amasi. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble, place the cheesecake onto a cake stand, pour the caramel onto then decorate with the fresh cherries.
- You could serve this with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream