Baked Sheep’s Cheese
- 200g wheel of Sheeps Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to season
For the peppadew salsa:
- 50g peppadews, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced, seeds removed
- 1 birds eye chilli, chopped
- Handful mint, chopped
- Handful coriander, chopped
- Salt, to season
For the bruschetta:
- 1 baguette, sliced thinly
- 1 bulb garlic
- To make the cheese preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut an “X” on the top of the cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Place the cheese into a suitable baking dish, similar in size to the wheel of cheese. Bake for15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- While the cheese bakes, place a bulb of garlic in into some foil, cover with oil and bake until the garlic cloves are roasted and become like a paste.
- To prepare the salsa, chop up all the ingredients and mix together, season to taste.
- For the bruschetta, thinly slice the baguette and toast the slices. Rub with the roasted garlic for serving.
- Serve the cheese, covered with the fresh salsa and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Baked cheese can be used as an appetiser, and used as a dip for bread, vegetables, or biscuits/crackers.
- Baked cheese can also be used in dishes like pasta, bake your cheese along with your favourite vegetables, herbs & aromatics and stir through your favourite pasta to create a easy midweek dinner.
- Once roasted the garlic can be use and blended into soups, used as in this recipe on French bread or even mixed through dips and sauces.
- Roasting the garlic, brings out a sweetness and nutty flavour which adds a deep flavour profile to your dish.