Chicken Livers with Ibhisto
- 300g chicken livers, cleaned trimmed & cut into bite size pieces
- 50g flour + 2 tsp chicken spice
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 30ml canola oil or a splash
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 60g butter
- 1-2 fresh chillies, seeded
- 2 tsp paprika or chilli powder
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
*you could add a splash of wine or brandy when cooking the livers
For the quick pickled vegetables:
- 80g vegetables such as carrots, radish, cucumber, onion, cabbage etc..
- 15 ml Rice vinegar (1 Tbsp)
- 30 ml water (2 Tbsp)
- salt ( about 1 tsp)
- sugar (about 1 tsp)
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- Roasted vine tomatoes if available
- Fresh bread
- Fresh herbs such as coriander, spring onion or parsley
- Pat chicken livers dry using kitchen paper and season with fine salt & pepper.
- Combine the flour & chicken spice. Coat the chicken livers in the flour.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over a medium heat then add the butter. Fry the chicken livers until golden brown. Remove the chicken livers from the pan and fry the onions, garlic and paprika. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and the chicken livers. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the roast vine tomatoes, pickled vegetables and fresh bread.