Dulce de Leche Mopani Honeycomb Cake
For the cake:
- 200g butter
- 200g castor sugar
- 200g cake flour
- 50g Mopani worm flour
- 5 eggs (3 whole, 2 separated)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tin caramel treat
For the honeycomb:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 50g dried Mopani worms, chopped roughly
- Preheat the oven to 180°C & prepare 3 6” cake tins by greasing them and lining them with baking paper. In a bowl, cream together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy, add in the eggs one at a time, including the egg yolks of the separated eggs & vanilla extract. In a separate bowl mix together the flours. Whip the egg whites to stiff peak stage. Slowly incorporate flour into the sugar mixture. Use half of the beaten egg whites and stir through the mixture. Use the other half and fold through to create alight fluffy mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until done. Leave in tins for about 10 minutes then place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cool even the tops and sandwich together with the caramel.
- To make the honeycomb, place all the ingredients in a heavy-based pan and cook until amber in colour. Place the Mopani worms onto a baking sheet and set aside.
- The mixture will slowly start reducing and becoming stickier, once it goes to a dark amber colour add in the bicarbonate of soda whilst whisking through. Pour the honeycomb mixture over the Mopani worms as it is bubbling and allow to set.
- Once set, break into shards and top the cake.
- When beating the egg whites, make sure that all your equipment is free from any grease, as this will deflate the eggs.
- You can do so by rubbing your bowl & whisk with lemon juice to remove the grease.- Be careful not to overheat the batter as this will take out all the air you have incorporated by folding in the eggs whites and ingredients.
- You can use either honey, maple syrup or golden syrup for the honeycomb
- Sugar is hydroscopic which means it holds onto moisture, so do not place your honeycomb into the fridge as it will not remain crunchy.
- Be careful not too incorporate too much bicarbonate of soda as it will result in a soapy flavour.