- 1 litre (enough to fill three condensed milk 3 tins) Milk
- 385g (2 cans) Condensed milk
- 6 tbsps Maizena
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 pack Phyllo pastry
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs Brown sugar
- 1 tbs Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla (essence/ paste/ pod)
- 500ml Double-thick cream
- 2 cups Oil for deep frying spring rolls
1. Make MILK TART CUSTARD
- Pour one full tin of condensed milk into pot
- Use same can measure milk. Add tins of milk
- Add cinnamon stick
- Heat until nearly boiling, then turn heat down to low
- In a separate bowl beat two eggs, then mix beaten eggs with Maizena and another tin of milk. Then, add this mixture to pot
- Slowly cook on low heat. Be sure to continue to stir so that custard does not burn. Custard is ready once mixture is thick. Take off stove and allow to cool down completely
2. Make the CINNAMON SUGAR by mixing together the cinnamon powder and brown sugar.
3. Make the full MELKTERTJIE SPRING ROLL
- Unroll phyllo pastry and cut into 4 large squares. Then, separate each sheet
- Lay one thin piece of phyllo flat on the board
- 3cm from the bottom of the phyllo square, place 1tbsp of custard. Roll the sides and bottom inwards and roll once. Then sprinkle a pinch of the cinnamon sugar and continue to tightly roll until a spring roll/ cigar shape is formed.
- Continue with remaining ingredients.
- Deep fry spring rolls until phyllo pastry turns golden brown and crunchy
- Straight after taking spring rolls out the oil, dust and season with cinnamon sugar
4. ICE CREAM
- Beat cream until it becomes stiff. Do not over beat cream, or it can turn into butter.
- Add 1 tin condensed milk and vanilla (essence/ past/ seeds of 1 pod) and continue mixing.
- Once all ingredients thoroughly mixed together, put into container and into the freezer. Allow to set over night
Substitute vanilla in ice cream with flavoured syrups to make your choice of ice cream.