- 4 tbsp sunflower oil 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp atchar malasa
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 cups peeled and quartered baby onions 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- In a large pan heat the oil (don’t be alarmed by the volume of oil - atchar is oil based) and add the spices and bay leaf, let them cook for 1 minute then add onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute before adding the peppers. Add an extra splash of oil if needed.
- Cook for 5 minutes or so then add the sugar, salt, and vinegar and a dash of water if needed.
- Bring the pickle to a final simmer over a low to medium heat for about 10 minutes (if it looks like its going to start burning add 1-2 tbsp of water at a time) and switch off the heat.
- Spoon into a sterilised jar or use immediately.
- It should last in the fridge for at least a week.
AIOLI (or garlic mayonnaise)
- 1 whole pasteurised egg
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic (2 tsp crushed)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250ml vegetable oil - or an avo/macadamia nut oil Salt and pepper
- Pop the egg into a narrow vessel - just big enough to fit the blending attachment on a stick blender.
- Add the mustard, salt and pepper, garlic.
- Slowly add the oil and then carefully insert the stick blender so the blade is directly over the yolk.
- Now start blending on a low speed until the mixture starts thickening - don't pull the blender up before it does. When you start pulling up do so very very slowly.
- Pull up while blending until the mayo is thick and glossy. Add lemon juice to taste and season to taste with salt and pepper.
SWEET POTATO CHIPS
- 500g-600g (about 3 medium) orange sweet potatoes, peeled 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper or foil.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 05mm-1cm slices.
- Toss with olive oil, thyme, garlic and seasoning.
- Lay onto baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until golden and soft .
- Very important with making the fries - try to cut them evenly so they all cook at about the same rate and preheat the oven with the baking sheet inside.
- 500g good quality boerewors Olive oil for cooking
- 4 rosemary sticks
- Divide the wors into 4 even pieces.
- Roll up into little equal spirals.
- Secure with a rosemary stalk.
- Cook according to taste - either in a pan or over the coals.
- 1/2 cup heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- Mix and season well.
1 milk loaf, sourdough or any soft bread of your choice, cut into 4 8 slices boerenkaas
- Add a generous spread of aioli to each kota, then add a layer of chips followed by the cheese then the atchar.
- Top with a sausage twirl and a generous scoop of salsa.
- Serve with extra mayo and atacher on the side.