Trout and Cherries
Smoked trout, hasselback potato skewers, cherry chutney, dill creme fraiche
- 4 rainbow trout fillets
- Wood chips
- Salt and pepper
- Season the trout well, brush the skin side with some oil so it doesn’t stick to the braai grid.
- You will need a kettle braai for this recipe.
- Soak 1-2 cups wood chips in just enough water to dampen them.
- Make a small coal fire in your kettle braai.
- Move the warm coals to the one side of the braai and pop a drip tray on the other side.
- Put the braai grill in place over the coals and drip tray.
- When you are ready to smoke scatter 1/2 the wood chips onto the coals, add the trout fillets on the trip tray side and put the lid on the braai.
- The air holes should be open and positioned over the fish.
- Smoke for about 8 minutes or until cooked (but don’t overcook them).
- Serve on a platter with chutney and creme fraiche and potato skewers.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Chilli to taste
- 2 cups pitted, halved cherries, (can use frozen cherries if fresh ones are out of season)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- salt to taste
- Cook the red onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and cook until thick and glossy - about 10 minutes.
- 500g baby potatoes parboiled and hasselback slits cut into it
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Mix the mayo, white wine, rosemary and garlic powder and coat the potatoes in the sauce.
- Thread onto skewers.
- Cook over low to medium coals for 15-20 minutes or until a little charred.
- Keep pasting as you braai.
DILL CREME FRAICHE
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 1-2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together well.
- Garnish to make your platter pretty like micro herbs, pea shoots, cucumber ribbons, lemon slices fresh cherries, watercress, etc.