EPISODE 3 RECIPE: BRONZE FENNEL & BITTER GOURD
Wednesday 6 April 2022
CHOCOLATE FONDANT, RASPBERRY SORBET, BITTERGOURD JELLY
BRONZE FENNEL AND BITTERGOURD JELLY
1 cup chopped bitter gourd
3 tbsp g olden fennel fonds, chopped (and extra for garnish)
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup sugar (or to taste)
Juice of 3 limes
¼ cup water
1-2 sticks lemongrass, crushed
- Halve the bitter gourd, chop and toss in salt and leave to sit for 30 minutes to remove the bitterness
- Rinse well.
- Melt the butter and sugar together and add the bitter gourd
- Add the sugar, lime juice and lemongrass (make sure the lemongrass is crushed so the flavour can be released.
- Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes or until soft and fragrant, remove the lemongrass and blend with a stick blender until smooth and puree like.
INSTANT RASPBERRY SORBET
300g frozen raspberries
Sugar to taste (or let’s do 2 Tbsp hibiscus syrup)
1 Tbsp hibiscus tea leaves
4 Tbsp chickpea brine
- Pulse the raspberries until they form a rough paste.
- Add the sugar or hibiscus syrup and 1/4 cup aquafaba while processing the whole time.
- Serve immediately or spoon out and freeze until needed.
DARK CHOCOLATE FONDANT
25g melted butter, for brushing
Cocoa powder, for dusting
100g good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
100g butter, in small pieces
100g caster sugar
2 eggs and 2 yolks
100g plain flour
4 white lindor balls
Generous pinch of salt
- Line 4 dariole moulds or 4 ramekins with butter and then cocoa.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Whip the eggs and sugar until light and foamy.
- Sift the flour over the egg mix and fold through.
- Fold the chocolate through.
- Divide between 4 dariole moulds.
- Chill for 20 minutes if possible.
- Bake at 200C for 10-12 minutes.
WHITE CHOC CRUMBS
100g white chocolate (at least 20 percent cocoa butter)
- Chop the white chocolate and spread it on a baking paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 130C until golden brown - about 10 minutes. Leave to cool and use as desired.
TAGS: recipes, Homegrown Tastes South Africa